Minimize

South African Worldwide Friendship Forum

Home  | Arcade  | Active Topics  | Search Forum
You are logged on as
CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/)
Show the shout box
Share Options.. Share this page with others on:
Hello There !!
Welcome to the Top 'South Africa MasterChef Forum' according to Google.
Our Forum is filled with all the latest information on Masterchef South Africa Season 3, and We'd love it if you'd join us! Our members work hard to bring you all the info about the show, with full Details on the Contestants, Recipe's, Eliminations, Judges and everything else, as we get it.. We've even been able to post info long before other competing sites. Please note that for legal reasons, some info is only available to registered members.
Membership is absolutely 100% free and registration is fast and simple so come on in and join our community today!!
BTW. this message disappears once you've Logged in!
>South African Worldwide Friendship Forum >Ladies Talk >Daily happenings. >

Suicide

Please Login To post    Page  of 1    

Unity Submitted on the 2010/07/05 20:24:12
Community Ranking : Friendship God : 1000100010001000100010001000
Total count : 9124

After our neighbour commited suicide it got me thinking, on why do people do take their own lives? Is there no way of getting them the treatment they need before doing this to themselves and their families.

People usually attempt suicide to block unbearable emotional pain, which is caused by a wide variety of problems. It is often a cry for help. A person attempting suicide is often so distressed that they are unable to see that they have other options: we can help prevent a tragedy by endeavouring to understand how they feel and helping them to look for better choices that they could make. Suicidal people often feel terribly isolated; because of their distress, they may not think of anyone they can turn to, furthering this isolation.

In the vast majority of cases a suicide attemptor would choose differently if they were not in great distress and were able to evaluate their options objectively. Most suicidal people give warning signs in the hope that they will be rescued, because they are intent on stopping their emotional pain, not on dying.

Aren't all suicidal people crazy? This is a question asked by many. However the true answer is, No, having suicidal thoughts does not imply that you are crazy, or necessarily mentally ill. People who attempt suicide are often acutely distressed and the vast majority are depressed to some extent. This depression may be either a reactive depression which is an entirely normal reaction to difficult circumstances, or may be an endogenous depression which is the result of a diagnosable mental illness with other underlying causes. It may also be a combination of the two.

The majority of individuals who commit suicide do not have a diagnosable mental illness. They are people just like you and I who at a particular time are feeling isolated, desperately unhappy and alone.
Suicidal thoughts and actions may be the result of life's stresses and losses that the individual feels they just can't cope with.

In a society where there is much stigma and ignorance regarding mental illness,a person who feels suicidal may fear that other people will think they are "crazy" if they tell them how they feel, and so may be reluctant to reach out for help in a crisis. In any case, describing someone as "crazy", which has strong negative connotations, probably isn't helpful and is more likely to dissuade someone from seeking help which may be very beneficial, whether they have a diagnosable mental illness or not.

People who are suffering from a mental illness such as schizophrenia or clinical depression do have significantly higher suicide rates than average, although they are still in the minority of attempters. For these people,having their illness correctly diagnosed can mean that an appropriate treatment can begin to address it.

How would I know if someone I care about was contemplating suicide?

Often suicidal people will give warning signs, consciously or non consciously, indicating that they need help and often in the hope that they will be rescued.
These usually occur in clusters, so often several warning signs will be apparent. The presence of one or more of these warning signs are not intended as a guarantee that the person is suicidal: the only way to know for sure is to ask them. In other cases, a suicidal person may not want to be rescued,and may avoid giving warning signs.

Typical warning signs which are often exhibited by people who are feeling
suicidal include:

- Withdrawing from friends and family.
- Depression, broadly speaking; not necessarily a diagnosable mental illness such as clinical depression, but indicated by signs such as:
- Loss of interest in usual activities.
- Showing signs of sadness, hopelessness, irritability.
- Changes in appetite, weight, behavior, level of activity or sleep patterns.
- Loss of energy.
- Making negative comments about self.
- Recurring suicidal thoughts or fantasies.
- Sudden change from extreme depression to being `at peace' (may indicate that they have decided to attempt suicide).
- Talking, Writing or Hinting about suicide.
- Previous attempts.
- Feelings of hopelessness and helplessness.
- Purposefully putting personal affairs in order:
- Giving away possessions.
- Sudden intense interest in personal wills or life insurance.
- `Clearing the air' over personal incidents from the past.

This list is not definitive: some people may show no signs yet still feel suicidal, others may show many signs yet be coping OK; the only way to know for sure is to ask. In conjunction with the risk factors listed above, this list is intended to help people identify others who may be in need of support.
If a person is highly perturbed, has formed a potentially lethal plan to kill themselves and has the means to carry it out immediately available, they would be considered likely to attempt suicide.

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.

Post last Edited by Unity on 2010/07/05 21:32:54
Unity Submitted on the 2012/04/13 08:52:35

After going through all this hell with my son yet once again.

I finally found out what brought on this episode, he tried to commit suicide. The amount of things he took and didn't work almost gave me a heart attack.
How did I fail to see what he was up to?

No more, from now on I have my eye on him.

Thankfully he got the help he needed before it was too late.

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.

Gremlin SA Submitted on the 2012/04/13 09:32:02
Community Ranking : Friendship God : 10001000100010001000100010001000
Total count : 1744

I Found a lovely site that covers many of the suicide Myths...

I think it's important to have that and lots more available so rather than reposting it here... Look at it here on the Suicide Call Back Service Site

What ever is eating at you, Must be suffering horribly.

Post last Edited by Gremlin SA on 2012/04/13 09:32:33
Unity Submitted on the 2012/04/13 09:49:21

Thanks Grem, food for thought.

However it fails to mention when a person has mental issues to begin with.
I am at a point that I see whenever my son is slipping into that mood.

Firechild Submitted on the 2012/04/17 08:02:47
Community Ranking : Community Manager : 1000100010001000100010001000
Total count : 7136

Just glad that he is okay, it is sad that mental illness is so uncover in SA and alot of people try commit suicide, glad you got close eye on him, and sometimes Unity you are not super woman so don't blame yourself.

You! Off my planet!
Unity Submitted on the 2015/07/04 14:01:32

So happy to say that it has been 3 years and he is doing great...

Unity Submitted on the 2019/02/25 19:45:27

I don't think that people understand how deep one sinks to have thoughts of suicide...

Please Login To post    Page  of 1    
Previous TopicNext Topic

Friendship Visits

Minimize
:Start:6:40:969 2x sql:6:40:984 Bot check:6:41:31 count done:6:41:31 Done:6:41:47